Wednesday, October 6, 2010

One Regret


I attended a production meeting last night for a television commercial promoting the release of a magic kit.  Partway into the meeting, I took issue with a matter of ethics that the production manager refused to consider.  As I spoke to the production assistant, a young guy overheard her say that I was a magician.  His reaction was amazing to me.  His eyes immediately lit up and he, without thinking, announced, “He’s a magician!?”  He walked right up next to me as I was standing speaking with the production team.  It was as if all his inhibitions had vanished.

After the exchange of a few more words with the crew, I explained that I would now have to leave and then I did.  The only part that I regret is that I left without acknowledging the presence of that young guy, who for a few moments lost himself in wonder.  I will never forget the look of excitement on his face when he heard that I was a “real magician,” nor will I forget the look of longing in his eyes as they followed me as I silently departed.  I do not know your name, my friend, but I will never forget you.

No comments:

Post a Comment